About Me

My photo
It's the blog of film and game journalist Asher Barzaga, former Nonsense Film critic and former GAMElitist writer. Contact at p1noygrig@gmail.com

Monday, June 16, 2014

Review: How To Train Your Dragon 2


It seems like yesterday that I was writing for Nonsensefilm. They are still great memories, filled with it's share of ups and downs, same as any source of creative minds who debate the subject matter of art. Just before viewing How to Train Your Dragon 2 I was taken aback to those days.

The year that the first How to Train Your Dragon came out was stupendous (For those of you who don't recall it was the year of The Social Network). How to Train Your Dragon was an out-of-left-field surprise. From it's humorous opening introduction to it's rip-roaring emotional conclusion, How to Train Your Dragon managed to fuel a raging debate at Nonsensefilm: Did Pixar really win with Toy Story 3? Fellow former Nonsensefilm critic Andrew Jones and I didn't think so. I even went so far as to name it's soundtrack the best of that year, an opinion I still hold on to (sorry Trent Reznor).

So what really was there to expect this time around?

I wasn't really sure to be honest. I know there was excitement, if only just to get that same feeling that I got from the first film.

There was also fear.

How could the film live up? People actually have expectations now. You were underestimated before, but now is no longer the case.

After clearing my head, I walked into the theater. My head was held high, sitting steady to be a perch for my 3D glasses, with my body treading the line of bracing disappointment or bracing approval.

And after about 2 hours. You will have found me walking out the theater with my breath taken away.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a basic story approached by a multitude of angles. It's no different from the first one. You have a parallel lined character arc that the main character, Hiccup and his dragon, Toothless, follow.

You have a couple of side characters. None of them really develop. The exception is Stoick, Hiccup's dad, whose world is rocked by the appearance of Hiccup's once-thought-dead mother.

Even the villain, Drago Bludvist, voiced excellently by the oft-overlooked Djimon Hounsou, lacked in any way, shape or form, the kind of depth one should strive for in a villain.

However, the film does get a resounding "okay" in that regard.

In other words I was easily able to let it off the hook for that. Why?

Well, simply put, the villain is the embodiment of a theme. Have you ever heard of the statement "It takes a village to raise a child?" The film loves this point.

Once again, we have the parallels motif. First, it was with Hiccup and Toothless, and now we have Drago and the unnamed alpha-dragon. Hiccup grew up in a village with the likes of family and a strong tradition. Sure, the first film altered some of that tradition, and as such has played a pivotal role in his steps towards young adulthood. Drago was not so lucky. His upbringing to would lead him down a road where control is something he will forever sought after.

Drago had no control early on in his life; crucial moments which lead to the traumatic "what could I have done?" experience.

So there you have it, basic, simple, two sides of the coin. One, literally village-raised, the other, a traumatic upbringing. It's a basic and great lesson within the context of the film's family theme.

And that's why it's safe and passable. Too many more layers and complexities could leave the audience, in particular the children, alienated and possibly with the feeling that they were struck down by a heavy hand. If you've ever watch a G.I. Joe cartoon, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

So with my inhibitions quelled by that thought, I was able to enjoy what I had sought after: flight scenes! John Powell's score! Dragon's that would put Khaleesi from Game of Thrones to shame!

It was all there, more or less.

The flight scenes are even more exhilarating this time around, which was something that I would figure to be hard-pressed. The scenes are deftly-handled. I never thought I'd see a scene that could match the beauty of the first film's "Romantic Flight," but I did. It was a truly tender moment shared by a mother and a son that emphasized the film's portrayals of family.

And speaking of "Romantic Flight," the score sustains the films exhilaration. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a musical moment that matched either "Romantic Flight" or "Forbidden Friendship." A lot the songs are re-hashed, slightly altered, no doubt to create an effect of nostalgia. It's nice, and I will be listening to it's soundtrack, I just don't see myself calling it the best of the year this time around due to the occasional feeling of been-there, done-that.

Finally, we up the ante on the dragons. Of course, our classic terrors and gronkles are back to tickle our fancy, but we also have newer ones ranging from the underwater seashocker to the gigantic bewilderbeast. They, of course, are the center of the action, and create great excuses for such sweeping flight sequences for the animators lush forestry and silky skyline.

So here I am. Still taken aback by what fun I had viewing this film. I laughed. I cried (much like I did in the first one). I crept forward in my seat. This is a more-than-worthy sequel to How to Train Your Dragon, and a film that genuinely embodies the term: Family film.

★ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment